Thursday, February 17, 2005

Poem: When Sparky Came To School


One fine morning, I took Sparky for a ride
On the local bus, where his basket was by my side.
He sat in there and meowed his heart out,
Wondering what this terrible journey was about.
Commuters smiled as they watched the commotion,
With all that shoosh-ing and meowing with emotion.
I started to have a bad feeling on the way…
About bringing Sparky to school on a working day!

When Sparky came to visit the school,
He huddled in a corner of his basket like a trembling fool.
It was clear to see that this was not what he thought…
Although I tried to interest him with the wonderful toys I got.
But he was not impressed and ran to hide himself,
Crawling and searching behind my book shelf.
There he sat snuggled between the shelf and the wall.
Four times I crawled through to grab him, cursing under my breath and all.

When Sparky came to class,
Oh the special kids, see how they would fuss!
Petting him and stroking his ears…
Strange enough, he chased away their fears.
But poor little Sparky, the attention was too much!
Soon he shivered and shrank from each loving touch.
I saw him running away from every eager hand,
I decided it was time to rescue my poor feline friend!

When Sparky came to school that Monday morning,
I rushed home quickly in a yellow cab that very evening!
Scowling in his basket, he made his displeasure known,
Having had enough that day, I told him in a most frustrated tone,
“Okay, okay… you are on your way home…
And this is the express flight to Rome!”
Out of the basket, he scampered around the house in delight.
Oh… my decision to bring him to school was indeed a lack of foresight!

(26.7.2000)

1 comment:

Bunny said...

hey I really like this poem. It made me smile.