Sunday, October 15, 2006

Those Good Ol' Days


Nothing is forever…Nothing stays the same.
So the saying goes…
Walking by the old school and realised to my horror,
Mei Chin Primary School does not exist any more.
Ah… but these memorable days will always be with me


Although these yellowish whitewashed walls remain,
the people have gone .
Strolling on the path which Dad fell and hurt himself
on that fateful Sports Day
The open space behind the stage where
I played 'catching' with my pals
Oh, don't forget the Science Club’s animal corner!
The first pet rabbit I’ve ever owned was Mimi.



What about the rows and rows of white troughs –
Singapore’s dental compaign in the 70s.
Oh yeah… and me losing my brushing container
at different times of the school year.
Ah… I will never forget the dental clinic
and its horrendous drilling sounds!
Shivering... being called up for that termly checkup.
The tuckshop with its yummy 50cts nasi lemak
and 10 cents could still buy me a drink.



The school library on the first floor gave me
the first encounter of Enid Blyton.
The third floor male toilet reminds me
of the time I chased CK into a cubicle.
He was so mean and kept calling me a Fat Pig.
Today, he is someone's husband and a hardworking man.
We still say hi to each other when we meet at the lift.




Those primary school days were great
because they were eventful.
Sitting before my computer
brought a sense of reminiscence.
These memories are precious
because they were created with my friends.
People like Chua Pei Yan (Big Brother), Yam Kuan (Monster),
and Chew Geok (my best friend since Pri 4).




Perhaps I will never meet them again...
Perhaps I will never know what ever happened to all of them
But I want to thank them for the times we shared,
the golden moments and tears that were shed.
And I know I'll always have a few good ol' days to share!


PS. The very next day, I got my answer. I met Yam Kuan again! I found out that three weeks ago, he had become my student in my night lecture class and all these times I never knew. What a surprise it was! God knew that we will meet again! He orchestrated such a wonderful reunion... Amazing!

No comments: